Monday, September 13, 2010

City planners ate by tigers!



Well we arrived in Rome today. This city is just banannas! From the airport we took a shuttle to our hostel where we are staying. Let me rephrase that, we escaped death riding with a guy from the airport to an area where our hostel was supposed to be. He dropped us off and Cyndie and I looked at each other and just laughed and said "now what". We didn't see a sign for our hostel, but I saw what I wanted... a nice slice of pizza. We sat down to take a breather and enjoy a slice. We asked our waiter where our hostel was and it was a couple of blocks away. We eventually found it next to the tattoo parlor.



We checked in and got situated, dropped our stuff off and headed out for an adventure. We found a cell phone shop at a train station so I could buy a SIM card to make local phone calls. I think I can actually receive calls too but don't bother because I don't know the number and I probably wouldn't answer anyways. I'm on vacation.

Water just runs out of these fountains all over the city. Hope I don't get the runs from this.



We walked around, saw some things, people watched, got charged to sit and eat, got some gelato and treked back to the hostel to wind down and get some rest for our big day of adventure tomorrow. The city was more ghetto than what I was expecting. The gipsies try and con you like they do in Mexico a lot. It reminded me a lot of Mexico at times with about 2000 more years of history added to it.



In regards to my title of this blog we used a map to try and navigate around tonight. In no way shape or form was anyone even close to a rational thought when they designed these streets. Anyone who trys to look at a map is now dumber. May God have mercy on the souls of people who have to drive around here which will be me come Thursday.

Wish us luck! ...oh yeah and everyone smokes out here, don't they know that's not good for you?? Guess Italians didn't get the memo.

Gillingham's are having a blast.
Ciao

2 comments:

Jody said...

I LOVE your blogs!! I LOVE the pics.
THANKS SO MUCH for thinking of us back here in the USA. I am having so much fun following you.

Funny comment, Smokey, about not answering your phone. You don't often answer your phone when you are here... so why answer in Italy!?!
: )

Keep blogging! Love it!

Seth said...

Yes! I'm stoked to hear about your adventures. Funny thing is that I remember those black sweats...

Anyway, keep it sassy, keep it sexy, and don't get wacked by the Italian mob.