Saturday, September 18, 2010

Lovers Lane

Woke up about 5:45 so we could high tail it to Cinque Terre. After some more stressful driving we arrived at this tucked away paradise.



As you can see from the photos the weather was cloudy and a little rain but we were okay with this after some hotter days in Rome. It would have been nice to get in the ocean though.

There is a trail here that connects 5 towns to each other about 7 miles long. That's child's play for what we've been doing lately. There is one section of the trail that connects two towns called the Via Dell'Amore or lovers meeting point for couples between the two towns. Perfect for me and Cyndie Belle.

A couple of funny stories from the day. We ran into our roommate from our Rome hostel. What are the odds?! Then we heard this lady sneeze the most ridiculous sound of all time. Please ask me to show you when you see me again. After that a super nice old lady approached Cyndie as she was getting sand out of her sock and asked if she wanted a foot pad for a blister. I immediately recognized her accent and said "my momma is from Texas what part are you from". She laughed and about me being able to tell it was Texas and not some other southern state. That accent comforts me.

So I started this blog during lunch which turned out to be fantastico. This area is know for its focaccia, homemade pesto, an anchovies so that's what we ordered. The anchovies didn't have much flavor but the focaccia and pesto was divine.

After lunch we headed out for the trail hike. Weather was just cloudy when we started, then a little rain, then it just turned into a torrential down poor. We both loved it! It made the hike such and adventurous activity. By the time we got to the next town I drank my first whole cup of coffee in my life and we hopped in the car and headed for Venice.



The iPhone has been our absolute savior on the road. I downloaded a navigation app for driving in Italy. It would have been next to impossible to drive around without it.



Okay so it's not a Ferrari, but you can parallel park it just about anywhere. I call it the warthog cause it reminds me of a wart. Driving it is absolutely terrifying cause you have to maintain at least 130-140km/h on the autostrada and people were still passing me like I was barely moving. It is freaking crazy how fast people drive out here but it's kind of controlled chaos. Laws a merely suggestions but everybody gets it. Except the American tourists. My dad, captain safety, would have lost his marbles.

Here's me trying to figure out how to fill up the warthog. It's okay though because the Italians I asked didn't even know.




We're on a bus boat on the way to Venice right now. It feels amazing to not be driving. My brain needed a break. I just hope our B&B let's us in now and we don't have to sleep on the streets in the rain.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Dusty,
Your blogs are amazing and fun and I love them!

Keep up the good work.

Jesse Smith L.Ac. said...

Man, looks like you guys are having so much fun! We'll miss you guys in CB, but I'm thinking we'd all rather be in Italy, so you've got us beat. =)

J