Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Labyrinth

I may not be able to spell but what I lack in literacy I make up for in having a keen sense of direction. I've always been pretty good at finding my way around new unfamiliar places as long as I can see a map, and usually if I go some place once I can find my way back from then on. Throw all that out the window when it comes to Venice. Every tourist there has their heads down staring at a map trying to navigate unmarked alleys that lead nowhere. This place is a real life sequel to the Blair Which Project. You'll find yourself halfway across the island or right back where you started when you thought you were on track.



Cyndie and I were super excited to take a romantic gondola ride down the water ways of Venice. That dream quickly died at the price of 150 euro! We had a great time just wondering the streets trying to figure where we were though. We toured all the little shops and hunted for a decent meal. Do any of you remember the seafood and crab sandwich at subway? I know Jonce does. While most people would cringe at the thought of it, I liked it and Venice had the real deal. I ate three sandwiches in one setting cause they were so good.



The weather was cold and wet. Our shoes were still soaked from Cinque Terre so we were rocking the flip flops. We walked eight miles in those. I don't think I've ever walked one mile in flip flops. The new Reef flip flops did a pretty good job though. We finally found our way back to our hotel & put on our walking shoes because we were so cold! Then, continued to wander around for another 8 miles. The pic below is in San Marco square. Everyone was feeding the pigeons, but there was no way I'd sacrifice my food. So I just faked out those pigeons!


We set off today not knowing where we're going to sleep. It's a feeling I wish I had more often. Tomorrow we will stay in a hut at the top of a mountain that you can only get to by hiking. I'm super excited and hope the weather stays good for the hut.


On a train now just heading north till we get to Bolzano. From there we'll have to find a bus or maybe hitch hike to the smaller mountain towns to get us closer to the hut.


My litte bride is puckered out sleeping beside me on the train. What a lucky man I am to have such a fun wifey. I found out that Belle in Italian means beautiful. How fitting for Cyndie Belle.



Location:Via Alcide De Gasperi,Trento,Italy

1 comment:

Jody said...

Love the blog! Dusty, you are doing a great job of sending a taste of Italy home, and I would love to try your crab & seafood sandwich next.

You put new meaning to the phrase “Walk a mile in my shoes.” But I don’t want to walk 8 miles in your flip flops.

At first I thought you meant Cyndie Belle was “tuckered” out, but after remembering that this is your romantic anniversary trip, I decided you really meant “puckered” out. Love it! I agree she is Cyndie Belle!

Keep blogging! It is the highlight of my day.